Here at Pakaloha Bikinis, we believe in doing the best we can for ourselves and our mother ocean. We make every single one of our choices intentionally to make sure that our products are good for everyone! That’s why we stay away from microfibers in our clothes.
- As you know, the ocean is full of plastic, and every day that problem seems to be getting worse. The American Government has already banned microbeads, but an even larger part of the problem is microfibers.
- In a recent study at Carleton University, it was revealed that in microplastics recovered from the Ottowa River, only 5% were microbeads, while the other 95% were microfibers. Microfibers are found in anything from yoga pants, to jackets, to yes, even bikinis.
- Microfibers in the ocean get into everything: our water, our seafood, and travel up the food chain into whales and dolphins. Microfibers, while small, can actually cause fish to starve to death. While small, they can create a feeling of fullness in fish, meaning they don’t eat, which eventually leads to starvation.
- Many companies feel that by recycling plastic bottles into clothing, they are helping prevent plastic from ending up in the ocean. While these intentions are noble, they might be unintentionally making things worse. This plastic ends up in the ocean in smaller sizes, making it more dangerous and harder to isolate in cleanup efforts.
That’s why, here at Pakaloha, we only use lycra and cotton, meant to last for a long time with minimal effects on the environment. We all want to do what’s best for the planet and ourselves. That’s why, this surf season, you can grab a new bikini from us guilt-free and hit the waves!